Thursday, May 20, 2010

Below the Equator

So, after 6 hours of driving we finally made it to the Namwianga Mission! The drive went by really fast. There was always something really neat and interesting to see out the window. I was in culture SHOCK to see all the different lifestyles, houses, shops, and people lining the highway on the way here.


our awesome traveling mobile "Khaki Jackie"

The houses we passed made me realize how blessed we are in America. We take for granted the little things like running water and electricity. These “homes” were mostly huts consisting of sticks and dirt. I cannot even begin to explain how different it is here. The highway we traveled on the whole way runs through most of Africa and is the main highway. The roads run in opposite directions than in America and the driver side is on the opposite side of the car as well.(British style) Reallyyyy different and takes a lot to getting used to. Dr. weaver and Dr. Tullos have done an excellent job driving us around so far! It really looked like the Lion king in most parts with a few small towns. Everywhere you looked people were walking and heading out into what seemed to be the middle of nowhere but in the far distance you could see small huts and shack-like houses. Really crazy! The cities/towns were lined with people selling items such as fresh produce, live chickens, hand made items, clothing, etc. We stopped at a place called “Tooters” for lunch and I ate some “chips” aka French fries. They also served all kinds of meats such as chicken, beef, and fish but I wasn’t very hungry.

Kaylee jaime and I at "Tooters"

When we first got there we had to PAY to use the restroom. I had never heard of such a thing… But I think it was pretty much worth it considering they had pink toilet paper!! HAHA!! Super neato!


After arriving at the mission, we went and unpacked our suitcases. (well everyone else did! I still do not have my luggage but hoping to get it tomorrow) I will try to post more pictures when our internet connection gets better. Kaylee and I are rooming together. I have the bottom bunk! we have bug nets to keep the huge spiders out! If you look closely at the pic you can see the nets tied up. We had a “situation” with the spiders and have already killed about 5 HUGEEEE ones.

After unpacking we went straight to the Haven! I am already in love with all the babies! They are so precious! We met Meagan who has been here living at the Haven for four years and is a relative of my friends the McNutts. It was really nice to finally get to meet her! Just from being around her for a short tour of the Haven today, you can tell she is an amazing girl and has done so much awesome work for the Haven! We are sad she is leaving to go back to the states tomorrow. She will be missed.

Today, Dr. Weaver pointed out that we are below the equator! I can't believe I am this far away from home! I still haven't realized that I am in AFRICA!! so exciting!


Today is my best friend Jillian's birthday! I was sad I wasnt there to celebrate it with her so i made her this sign! Love you Jillian!